How to customise the start up messages on your Garmin Edge unit to ensure a lost unit has the best chance of finding its way home, or if you just want to make your Edge more personalised.
– Connect your Edge via USB.
– Open the GARMIN folder on the USB drive.
– Open the startup.txt
– Edit and save.
Further digging into this startup.txt I’ve found the following:
– Limited to 7-Bit ASCII characters…. so only the basics. (No mad Extended ASCII character art)
– Center aligns the text.
– Garmin EDGE 520/820: 5 Lines
– Garmin EDGE 530/830/1030: 6 Lines
– Garmin EDGE 800: 7 Lines
– Characters on each line depends on the character used. It varies.
– There’s more than enough room for your name / phone number / email address.
– You can extend the time the message is shown.
– It survives device reset.
GPLama startup.txt Template:
: Property of :
: GPLama :